Sundry Villages
[From Goodspeed 1889]

BIG CREEK - Is a village named after the creek on which the town is located, ten miles southeast of Houston and twenty miles southeast of Cabool, in Ozark Township.  In 1885 the population was estimated at 150, among whom were the following business men: H. M. Williams, merchant, postmaster and owner of flouring-mill; P. Barelow, saw-mill owner; Asa Cobb, W. B. Cooper, A. Curtis and R. E. Wood, carpenters; F. Nagle, cabinet-maker; J. W. Frederick, wagon-maker; John Morrissy and R. B. Hanes, blacksmiths; Henry Jashlin and Dan Gipson, justices; J. A. Kirman, physician; R. W. Rutledge, preacher of Regular Baptist Church, G. R. Gray and M. B. Bandy, of Free Will Baptist, and David Johnson, of the Christian Society. 

ELK CREEK - Twelve miles south of Houston, is the post-office center of the district.  In 1885 there were four church organizations and a well-attended academy here.  Austin Grisham had charge of the post-office; J. J. Bradbury was general merchant; Bradford & Brown, blacksmiths; J. T. Cooper and R. D. Harding, justices; G. W. Harman and J. A. Seeley, physicians; W. Nall kept the hotel and C. Salsbury carried on the flouring-mill. 

ELLIS PRAIRIE - The post-office was established in 1879, at a point nine miles northwest of the county seat and twenty-five miles north of Cabool.  Alfred Crosthwaite was postmaster and J. G. McClennan owner and operator of a saw-mill; P. S. Venable was justice, Jonathan Jones, constable; and J. W. Jones, stock dealer of the neighborhood. 

DYKES - Ten miles west of Houston and sixteen northeast of Mountain Home, is the location of H. W. Worsham's post-office store, and also of D. J. Seburn's.  James Avery, the blacksmith, and William Kaney, the telegraph agent, were here in 1885. 

SARGENT - Southeast of Cabool, on the Gulf Railroad, claims a population of about 300.  The country around the village is looked upon with favor, and settlers are coming in to replace the lumbermen and millers who now hold the place. 

RAYMONDVILLE - A post-office on the mail route between Cabool and Houston, is referred to on other pages.  A store and blacksmith's shop form the nucleus of what will be a prosperous hamlet within a few years. 

PLEASANT RIDGE - Sixteen miles west of Houston, and twenty northeast of Mountain Grove, is the post-office center of that district.  P. R. Worsham was postmaster in 1885. 

SUCCESS - Or Hastings, fourteen miles northwest of Houston and thirty northeast of Mountain Grove, was settled in 1880.  Five years later there were fifty inhabitants there.  T. J. Hamrick was postmaster; W. B. Langley was general merchant and hotel proprietor; W. D. Fansler, druggist; J. P. Bates and J. C. McClellan, lumber dealers; O. O. Power, blacksmith; P. B. Loy, shoemaker; and W. P. Vance, physician. 

CLYDE - Was surveyed in 1871, and acknowledged by Ira Martin, March 6, of that year.  The location, in Township 31, Range 8, is now John R. Martin's farm. 

MONTREAL - On the southeast quarter of Section 3, Township 28, Range 12, was surveyed in 1857, and on May 30 the plat was acknowledged by Samuel C. Hardin.  A public square and several streets are shown on this plat.  This old town was the only important one south of Houston up to the time of the war.  Mountain Grove and other railroad towns have long since taken its place.

© 02-05-01
Debbie Linton and Penny Harrell

Back to Index

2007-2008 Rhonda Darnell